Alexander Macomb Chapter, NSDAR

Mount Clemens, Michigan

Motto: God, Home and Country

National Mission Statement: Promote historic preservation, education, and patriotism.

National Theme: “Rise and Shine for America”

State Theme: Working together in our Commitment of Service and Preservation.

Members of Alexander Macomb Chapter, NSDAR

History of the Alexander Macomb Chapter, NSDAR

In late April 1899, Mrs. Helen Smart Skinner received her appointment as regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Mount Clemens, Michigan, and on Saturday, June 10, 1899, a chapter was organized with the historical number of 13 charter members.

It was decided that the chapter would be named after General Alexander Macomb, in view of his military services to his country, and that he was a leading citizen of Michigan; that the county (the third formed in the state), was named in his honor and the family name was associated with the early history of Mount Clemens. On October 6, 1899, the chapter received its charter from the NSDAR.

Today, over 120 years later, our chapter continues the work of preserving the memory and spirit of those who contributed to and fought for American independence. Our meetings are held from June through May in Mount Clemens.

Projects and programs of our chapter:  American History, Conservation, DAR Good Citizens Awards, DAR Schools, grant projects, Lineage Research, Literacy Promotion, Service to America programs, Service for Veterans.

Charter

Transcription of our chapter charter, issued in 1899

Whereas, Miss Florence Barnard, Miss Fandira Crocker, Miss Margaret Crocker, Miss Mary Crocker, Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbard High, Miss Katherine Lee Crocker Knight, Mrs. Carrie C. Lungerhauzen, Mrs. Frances Norton Price, Mrs. Frances Miller Russell, Mrs. Marion Ferris Taylor, Miss Alice Louise Skinner, Mrs. Helen Marion Smart Skinner and Mrs. Jennie May Hubbard Young, who are approved members of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, did, under the authorization of the National Board of Management, on the 10th day of June 1899, organize a chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, in the city of Mt. Clemens, State of Michigan, to be known as the Alexander Macomb Chapter; and whereas the following officers of said chapter have been elected, to wit:

Mrs. Grant Skinner as Regent
Mrs. W. C. High as Vice Regent
Miss Fandira Crocker as Recording Secretary, No Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. L.A. Knight, as Registrar
Mrs. L.C. Price as Treasurer
Mrs. K. E. Russell as Historian.

Now, therefore, the said members and their successors and associates are hereby declared to be a regularly organized Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, to be known as the Alexander Macomb Chapter; and as such are entitled to all the privileges, and subject to all the limitations of the Constitution and By-Laws of the National Society.

Given under our hands and the seal of the National Society this 6th day of October 1899.

Counter signed;
Francis Parsons Edwards, State Regent of Michigan;
National No. 467
Mrs. Mary Margaretta Fryer Manning, President General
Eleanor Washington Howard, V.P.G. in charge of organization
Mrs. Alice T. Akers, Recording Secretary General

 

Our Mission
Historic Preservation, Education, and Patriotism.

Historic Preservation

  • Gravestone Cleaning

Gravestone restoration and cleaning of the chapter’s deceased members and veterans who served in our country’s wars. Cleaning is done once a year by chapter volunteers along with other individuals or groups. It includes Clinton Grove Cemetery in Mount Clemens, Michigan; the Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, Michigan; and the Cannon Burial Ground in Washington Township, Michigan.

  • Documents, Records, and Artifacts

One of the ongoing projects of our chapter includes members working on preserving genealogical records, historical documents, and artifacts.

Education

  • DAR Good Citizens Awards, Grants, and Scholarships

The DAR Good Citizens Award and Scholarship Contest was created in 1934 to encourage and reward the qualities of good citizenship, dependability, service, leadership, and patriotism of students in their homes, schools, and communities.

The program is open to high school seniors whose schools are accredited by their state board of education. Only one student per year may be honored as a school’s DAR Good Citizen. The students are selected by their teachers and peers.

Once a student is chosen as the DAR Good Citizen, the student is invited to participate in the scholarship portion of the program. This consists of a personal statement and an essay. Student participation in the scholarship program is optional. United States citizenship is not required. The rules and guidelines can be acquired by contacting our chapter.

  • DAR Youth Citizenship Medal

This medal (formerly known as Good Citizenship Medal) was established to foster among schoolchildren a greater appreciation of the qualities of citizenship Americans must or should possess if our county is to remain sovereign and independent. The medal is given to a student who exemplifies the qualities of honor, service, courage, leadership, and patriotism.
The program is open to children in grades five through eleven. Only one medal is awarded per grade per school, and the medal may also be awarded to youth service and patriotic organizations.

  • Lineage Research, and Lineage Workshops

Offered by our chapter to non-members wishing to establish their lineage to become a member of the NSDAR.

  • Literacy Promotion

The literacy promotion program brings books to all ages of children for the advancement of reading, education, and entertainment. Books are usually donated by members, or purchased with donated monies. Children in need receive the books in backpacks along with other items that they need.

Patriotism

  • Real Daughters

The Real Daughter designation is given to an NSDAR member whose father was a Revolutionary War Patriot. 767 women have received the designation of Real Daughter.

  • Service to America

A program in which DAR members are challenged to discover the impact they can make in their local communities by performing all types of community service.
Some of these services include volunteering at their local VA hospital; making care packages; cleaning up local parks and working at homeless shelters and food banks.

  • DAR Service for Veterans and Project Patriot

Our chapter members take great pride in supporting the men and women serving in uniform. We make or purchase items needed by military personnel, active or non-active. We support relatives of chapter members in the military, and we support our local National Guard and their families.

  • Wreaths Across America

Wreaths Across America is a program dedicated to the placement of wreaths on veterans graves during the holiday season. All money collected by the WAA program is donated and used to purchase the wreaths.

Photos courtesy of the Alexander Macomb Chapter, NSDAR archive’s.

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, NSDAR

Washington D.C.

Learn More

Daughters of the  American Revolution of
Michigan

Lansing, Michigan

Learn More

Michigan Sons of the American Revolution, NSSAR

Detroit, Michigan

Learn More

Children of the American Revolution, C.A.R.

Mt. Clemens, Michigan

Learn More

Buildings and Monuments of the NSDAR

DAR National Headquarters

Memorial Continental Hall
1776 D Street NW, & 17th St.
Washington, D.C.

The hall shares a city block with the DAR’s Administration Building (1920) and Constitution Hall.

Completed in 1910, it is the oldest of the three buildings and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972.

Mary Washington Monument

1500 Washington Avenue
Fredericksburg, Virginia

The first monument in the United States erected to a woman by women.

The monument’s beginnings: In 1833, President Andrew Jackson dedicated and laid a cornerstone for a monument to Mary Washington, the mother of George Washington. Never completed, it lay in pieces for almost sixty years.

After the founding of the NSDAR in 1890, one of their first items of business was to pledge to complete the memorial monument to Mary Washington.

On October 21, 1893, the NSDAR took over the project and laid a new cornerstone, as the original had sustained damage during the Civil War.

The monument echoes the Washington Monument design and was dedicated May 10, 1894, by President Grover Cleveland and NSDAR President General Letitia G. Stevenson.

.

Constitution Hall

1776 D Street NW & 18th St.
Washington, D.C.

A 4,000 seat auditorium built in 1929 and designed by John Russell Pope. The hall was built to house the annual convention when the membership delegations outgrew Memorial Continental Hall.

Later, both the Memorial Continental Hall and Constitution Hall were connected by a third structure with an administrative office, museum, and genealogical library.

Madonna of the Trail

Bethesda, Maryland; Bealsville, Pennsylvania; Wheeling, West Virginia; Springfield, Ohio; Richmond, Indiana; Vandalia, Illinois; Lexington, Montana; Council Graves, Kansas; Lemar, Colorado; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Springerville, Arizona; and Upland, California

In 1911, the NSDAR established the National Old Trails Road Committee. Its purpose was to establish a great National Memorial Highway.

In 1912 an Association was organized, and the roadway became known as the National Old Trails Road. The group wanted to recognize the contributions of women with a statue to be erected in each of the 12 states connected by the road. The committee chair, Judge (and future U.S. president) Harry S. Truman, guaranteed the expense and erection of the monuments.

A design was completed in 1927 and sculpted by August Leimbach and dedicated in 1928 and 1929.

DAR Museum

Memorial Continental Hall
1776 D Street NW
Washington, D.C.

The DAR Museum is located inside Memorial Continental Hall.

The collection includes over 30,000 examples of objects made or used in America prior to the Industrial Revolution which are displayed in many period rooms.

Founded in 1890 as a part of the newly formed DAR, it was a way of depositing and displaying family heirlooms. The museum sought to promote historic preservation and patriotism through collections and displays of colonial-era artifacts.

Alexander Macomb

Michigan Avenue & Washington Blvd
Detroit, Michigan

The Alexander Macomb Chapter, NSDAR, was named after the famous patriot General Alexander Macomb.

In 1906, Sculptor Adolph Alexander Weinman cast General Alexander Macomb in bronze. It was said to have been made of melted down cannons from the war.

Weinman “portrayed Macomb as a dashing officer, with a slightly off-center stance figure and furl of the wind-blown cape.” He stands atop a granite pedestal and is flanked by three bronze cannon.

The monument was dedicated September 11, 1908.

DAR Library

Location: Off the Pennsylvania Foyer and O’Byrne Gallery
Continental Hall
1776 D Street NW
Washington, D.C.

The DAR Library is designed to support and enhance the National Society’s membership application process and to further the goals of the National Society by acquiring and preserving historical materials related primarily to American genealogical research, and by acquiring and preserving records related to the American Revolutionary War period.

The library boasts over 225,000 volumes, with about 3,000 new titles added yearly.

Founded in 1896, it was used only by DAR staff genealogists until 1900, when the collection was opened.

DAR Founders Monument

C Street-between 17th and 18th Ave
Washington, D.C.

A commemorative sculpture dedicated to the four founders of the NSDAR: Mary Desha, Mary Smith Lockwood, Ellen Hardin Walworth, and Eugenia Washington.

The NSDAR was founded in late 19th century “Colonial Revival Period,” and was the result of women being excluded from joining the Sons of the American Revolution in 1890.

In the pursing arguments and protests, the NSDAR was created 1893.

In 1929, DAR member and artist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney sculpted a graceful woman from Tennessee marble in tribute to the four founders.

The monument was dedicated on April 17, 1929.

Photo of chandelier in the NSDAR Memorial Continental Hall foyer.